In 1896, Wilmot Stephens founded The Stephens Company in Binghamton, NY. “Stephen’s Climbers” were handcrafted in his blacksmith shop and formed the genesis of entire product lines serving linemen and arborists. Several years later in 1913, W.H Buckingham purchased The Stephens Company and changed the name to what is now known as Buckingham Manufacturing Co., Inc. At that point in time, manufacturing was expanded beyond climbers to include linemen’s body belts, safety straps, climber pads, knives, and other tools.
Andy Batty Jr. and a new management team took ownership in 1984 and grew the company substantially over the next several decades, solidifying Buckingham’s role as the world’s leading and most trusted manufacturer of equipment for major electric utilities, telecommunications companies, wireless and cable providers, and arborists. Today, Andy and his son Tim continue to guide the company and have expanded, improved, and introduced new products; built, maintained, and grew a robust sales and distribution system that spans the globe, and introduced new technology to the industries Buckingham serves as well as its own production facility.
According to a catalog from the 1940’s, “Mr. Buckingham always demanded the utmost in fine workmanship and made no compromise with quality.” That laser-like focus on quality remains today amongst a continually growing and dedicated workforce at the same exact Binghamton, NY location.
Buckingham Manufacturing is ISO 9001:2015 certified and follows all applicable industry standards including OSHA, ANSI, ASTM, CSA and CE requirements. Our factory is located in its original location and we still manufacture our products right here in America. The BuckLab, where we research, design and test products is ISO 17025 Certified. Knowing the dangers of the industries we serve, our products are inspected BuckTough™ and from raw materials, through in-process manufacturing, to the final product.
Buckingham’s definition of quality is giving the customer exactly what they order and expect. In support of our definition of quality, Buckingham and its employees are committed to:
- Manufacturing products that are high-quality, reliable, and with ZERO defects.
- Listening to and working closely with our customers to improve upon quality, service, and product development.
- On time delivery
- Consistently increasing performance across every aspect of our company.
- Continuously challenging ourselves to improve the quality management system to guarantee product quality and eliminate defects through the implementation of a series of objectives and results.
Commitment to this policy starts at the top – starting with our President and General Manager – and is embodied across every facet of Buckingham and its employees.
Mission, Vision, & Values
The Buck Mission
Our mission is to manufacture high-quality, reliable and innovative products that make linemen, arborists, and workers in the many industries that we serve more efficient, more effective, and most importantly, SAFER.
The Buck Vision
Continue to be the worldwide leader and most trusted manufacturer of equipment and tools for linemen, arborists, and workers in the many industries that we serve.
The Buck Core Values
- B – BUILD products to meet and exceed our customer’s expectations and standards.
- U – UNDERSTAND that our customers put their livelihood in our hands and rely on our products to go home to their loved ones at the end of each day.
- C – CUSTOMER’s are our number one priority and we must listen and work closely with them to improve quality, service, and product development.
- K – KNOWLEDGE is paramount – from engineering to product development to customer service, Buckingham employees are the most knowledgeable on our products and the industries we serve.
We guarantee the equipment we manufacture to be free from defects in material and workmanship. We will repair any equipment deemed to be defective which is returned to us by the original purchaser. This express guarantee supersedes all other expressed or implied guarantees, obligations or liabilities.